Saturday, July 16, 2011

Life happens...

This last month has been a whirlwind!  Overall June's training went really well. The month started off great, I followed my schedule of what days I was supposed to walk and how many miles I needed to do.  I got my miles in...well, almost....We went on vacation for the last week of June through the 4th of July. I had this great idea that somehow I would magically be able to do all of my training walks on all the days they were scheduled. HA! Was I in for a surprise!  I think the trip was a real eye opener for me. In a good way at least.  I definitely learned a lot.  First off let me say we went to visit my in-laws on the beautiful shores of North Carolina.  It was a fantastic trip! The kids were great, the in-laws were great. My M-I-L is recovering nicely after all her radiation and had a fairly decent amount of energy. :)  So Sunday I got my miles in (on a treadmill) no problem. Then Tuesday comes along and I manage to do a mile. I was definitely frustrated! I was supposed to do 3! Oh well... and then Thursday... oops I blew it again and walked a big fat 0! I was frustrated again. So Friday morning my son decided to wake up at the crack of dawn (literally).  I needed to get him out of the house so he wouldn't wake up everyone. Aha! Light bulb for my thick skull- take him on a walk and let everyone sleep.  So off we went. It was great. My husband was awake so he came too.  We walked just about 3.5 miles.  We walked for about 5 on Saturday morning too.  Got a chance to just get out there and do it. I finally realized that it is no big deal if I miss a day. I just need to do what I can.  It is not the end of the world and somehow I had been missing the point. This whole journey is about finding a cure for breast cancer. Raising the money to support research and especially raising awareness is what is going to find a cure, not me making sure I get my 3 miles in every Tuesday.  Not to mention, "Hellooo, Jen!" You are on vacation to spend time with the ones you love! You don't have to go to work, you get to play with your kids on the beautiful beach and create new memories with them, you actually get to see your husband and spend time with him, and you get to listen to your in-laws tell all their stories, and just be. That is what life is about.
An evening stroll to the water with my son
Since we have been back home life has been an adjustment. We are getting back into a training schedule, but I have definitely learned to be flexible.  It's not the end of the world if I miss a day. I have been doing what I can and my husband has still managed to be my faithful walking partner throughout this journey. It has certainly brought us closer and has been so nice to spend time as a family.  These last few weekends we have been walking around a lake (about 5 miles).  It is nice to get out and have something pretty to look at instead of just the neighbors' houses.  But pushing two strollers isn't always so much fun no matter what you are looking at especially when the kids get hungry and antsy during the longer walks. So we have to figure out and adjust to what works for them too.  Today we brought some bread and let the kids feed the ducks.  They thought it was a great end to a long walk and we did too!

So the last month has been a journey all on its own. Both physically and emotionally. I am finally realizing what the 3-Day is all about.  It is more than just walking a ton of miles. It is about living! 

Life happens.  So live it, embrace it and enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment