Saturday, April 16, 2011

What did I get myself into?!

Okay, so now that I have read just about every page on the 3-day website that applies to being a participant, I am wondering what did I get myself into?  Actually, now I KNOW what I got myself into!

First, I have to walk 60 miles in 3 days! For the next 7 months I am going to be training and walking my butt off! And I mean that in a literal sense too! (Not that I am complaining)! :)

Second, while on the 3-day I get to sleep in a tiny 2 person tent that measures 6'6" by 6'6". My team-mate and I are going to be sharing a queen sized blow up mattress and be sporting gorgeous pink ear-plugs. She snores in her sleep and I talk in mine! Did I mention I am 5'9" and my tent-mate is not exactly a shorty either? Good thing we have known each other a long time! Personally, I have always really enjoyed camping and now I have an excuse to buy a new sleeping bag! Maybe I'll even get to pack my husband and kids in the car and actually go camping sometime this summer just to "practice" sleeping in a tent.

Third, this adventure certainly isn't going to be cheap! I have to get all new gear (shoes, socks, pants, pedometer, etc.) Of course who doesn't like new stuff? But possibly the most daunting part of this whole thing, I have to raise $2300 just so I can participate in the walk! Will I be able to do it, absolutely! At the moment I have already received $85 in donations and I haven't even sent out any donation request letters! Pretty awesome if you ask me!  I also have 2 different fundraisers in the works so far. One is with my gracious neighbor who has offered to do a Stella & Dot party and donate 10% of the sales to the walk.  It should be a great night to get together with the girls and have a glass of wine or 2 and try on jewelry. We will probably put together something online too so if you can't make it you can always order off her website! The other fundraiser I am working on will be an online only catalog sales of purses, bags, and fun gifts.  I am even half considering streaking my hair pink if I receive a certain amount of donations! Notice, I said "half considering." :D. Don't worry, I'll be posting all the details on here as I figure them out.

Well what else did I get myself into? A community that is filled with love and a passion to end this terrible disease. So now I look forward to this commitment, all the adventures, and new friends made a long the way. Here is to the start of something wonderful...

No comments:

Post a Comment